gump-general mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Re: feature request: top critical failures
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2004 02:45:16 GMT
    > But you are right, if the number of dependencies is displayed, it will
    > be easier to detect the spots which are harming a lot gump.

    I think gumpy suffers from "data overload" syndrome: too many numbers,
    too much eye candy... it's harder to spot where the errors are.

One person's eye candy is another person's complete transparency. ;-)
Seriously though, Gumpy will mature to the point of knowing what is optimal
& what is fluff, but to this point it's has been a case of exploring/display
what is possible. I agree, it has amassed & has reached overload.

I think we ought start to teach the forrest loader to display less and less
unless verbose or debug (or an error condition, e.g. failed state) exist. We
can have vast sections of the output excluded via this, and only have (say)
the details page when needed, or aspects of any.

Now, let's all figure out what is noise in the normal, and ought be
reduced...

regards,

Adam