gump-general mailing list archives

From "Adam Jack" <aj...@TrySybase.com>
Subject Re: About ForrestCocoon was: Gump Thrashing/Spinning...
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:45:43 GMT

> Forrest uses cocoon  (http://cocoon.apache.org/2.0/)
> Which is a servlet that does xml pipelines
> XML -> transform -> transform --> xml (or whatever) out.
> Along with caching all kinds of other cool stuff.
> That is what you get when you use the "forrest run"  command
>
> Because many, many of our pages are never visited this might actually
> reduce the computational load.

Yup, seems highly likely. It also means that if Forrest barfs on a certain
page we still get access to the other pages.

> So for us that means we run tomcat with a forrest install and then just
> push our xdocs to the right location.
> When a users visits a page that the xml underneath has been updated the
> page will regenerate.

Cool. So I assume we simply copy (sync) the xdocs into the 'log' directory,
and not run forrest & copy(sync) outputs. It is a shame that each run will
generate new xdocs, even though the real content may not change, but that
doesn't seem too painful.

regards,

Adam