gump-general mailing list archives

From "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>
Subject Re: Maven usage in Gump
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:19:10 GMT

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> > *  The whole of Avalon was converted to Maven quite some time ago, and
that is
> > probably when Gump support started to crack badly. What would Gump folks
say
> > if we took the step of having <maven> in the avalon gump descriptors?
>
> I don't think we're quite ready just yet:

http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/incubator-geronimo/gump_work/build_incubator-geronimo_incubator-geronimo.html

I suspect (hope) this might be a config mismatch more than not being ready,
i.e. dependencies in the POM not in the GOM. ;-) I think we need to start
with smaller (fewer dependencies projects) and work up.

I don't have time (or enough samples) to 'prove' that other than say see
these next two suggest we are in the ballpark.

http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/jakarta-gump-test/gump-test-maven1.html
http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/jakarta-gump-test/gump-test-maven2.html

Test2 depends on Test1, as does the source code, hence uses jar overrides.

> but the goal is a good one. Maybe we should try both (add experimental
> projects that use <maven/>, move over incrementally if those work)...

Agreed. My issues is jar 'id' name in GOM (for projects not built by Maven)
and MAven artifact name. I suspect we'll need to add more and more id=
attributes to GOM descriptors.

> > *  One of the things that I can imagine is a real worry is the build
time
> > required for Maven compared to Ant, but the Maven-1.0-rc2 is showing
> > significant improvements.
>
> We don't want to worry about that. Gump tries to emulate developer
> behaviour. And if developers are using maven, gump wants to use it too.

Agreed.

> > *  How are the dependency Jars being passed to Maven, and getting Maven
> > ignore the cached local repository?
>
> I have no idea (someone else will ;)

Gump generates a properties file, and in there it sets the jar override and
then (by artefact id) set the jars paths.

http://lsd.student.utwente.nl/gump/incubator-geronimo/incubator-geronimo.html#Project-level+Files

> > *  Should the <maven> feature in Gump, not use the Maven POM and
properties
> > files, since all the information about the builds are available there?
Is
> > this planned, or considered too difficult?

Maven generates GOM using the "maven gump" goal. Yes, Gump could read POM,
but since Maven does this so nicely it isn't a top priority on my list. I
beleive Brett suggested he'd start looking at making the goal use <maven not
<ant, but in my perfect would we'd have it generate two projects -- one with
<ant and one with <maven for testing/verification.

> I think its planned. One big difficulty (there are several) is that the
> names of the projects in maven are not the same as the names of the
> projects in gump.

I think many are close, and I think (as I'm sure you do) that we just need
to go through the process to find the odd ones out. Having the same names
will help us.

regards

Adam