gump-general mailing list archives

From "Adam Jack" <aj...@TrySybase.com>
Subject Re: [RT] My personal roadmap for gump
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:05:33 GMT
> Yada yada yada. Could go on for a while, but I won't. Let's hear about
> you! :-D

I'm interesting in Gump's viewpoint on OSS projects, and their interactions,
and I want to work on how that viewpoint can be leveraged. I care about
presenting this simple metadata in as many ways as valuable, from different
perspectives. I thought I wanted mathematical perspectives alone, but I've
become convinced that visual representations would be even better.

I would like to see Gump scale to many more projects, to create some map of
core OSS (folks can use google to find/evaluate more obscure ones.) I don't
want to see the 'rich get richer', and have folks focus in on the main
projects, but I'll accept that risk because I think folks deserve insights
into projects. I don't want OSS to be a crap shoot, I want some objective
insights when I chose to depend/rely upon somebody else (and invest my
energy in learning their solution.)

For example, I hear that forrest uses cocoon uses avalon, but even as close
to Gump metadata as I am (and however I see dependency tables), I don't
really understand "how much", or "what aspects". If I hear something is
being de-emphasized,  I can't judge how this might ripple up to what I do. I
would love a visual graph of dependencies, perhaps with line thickness
annotating how strong a tie there is, etc. I want to be able to "see OSS
interactions" through views created by Gump.

So, for me it is all about views/insights/introspections/maps, hence I like
what folks can do with a cocoon/forrest webapp -- and graphs/charts/images.
Anything that allows us (perhaps dynamically on demand) to drill into this
information...

regards,

Adam