gump-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Nagging the cause vs. Nagging the effect
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:33:29 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> You are using an "altavista" approach of heuristical pattern matching,
> I want to use a more Google-like approach of making human inferencing
> emerge out of implicit topological properties of a graph.
>
> I have a pretty strong opinion on why the first much inferior compared
> to the second (as google showed rather evidently, but that's just the
> tip of the iceberg)

totally agree! But altavista came around before google, and was the best
we had at the time (coupled with the human labor of dmoz.org and
similar). Until we figure out the "topological properties" of the gump
graph, the "brute force" approach is better than nothing...it may save
us some "human laboring" ;)

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons