gump-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Nagging the cause vs. Nagging the effect
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 19:35:05 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> I think the key is that the gump runs as for Gump or Gumpy do *not*
> contain enough information.

what might work sometimes is (pattern) matching the <package/>
statements of the dependencies against the errors produced by javac or
unit tests, and cvs history.

that would've caught the xml-batik error, I think. I mean,

     [javac]
/data/gump/xml-batik/sources/org/apache/batik/script/rhino/BatikSecurityController.java:69:

org.apache.batik.script.rhino.BatikSecurityController is not abstract
and does not override abstract method
callWithDomain(java.lang.Object,org.mozilla.javascript.Context,org.mozilla.javascript.Callable,org.mozilla.javascript.Scriptable,org.mozilla.javascript.Scriptable,java.lang.Object[])

in org.mozilla.javascript.SecurityController
     [javac] public class BatikSecurityController extends
SecurityController {

is clearly showing to any human programmer that whatever produces the

   org.mozilla.javascript

package is the problem, since BatikSecurityController.java presumably
didn't change since the previous build yet started causing a compilation
failure.

you'd need to be pretty intelligent about parsing the error message
though. But it seems to be there in some way, without needing /that/
many statistics.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons