gump-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gump as TLP
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:17:32 GMT
Yes, I know, this e-mail is too long, but it should be possible to read
it quickly ;)

+1 to a gump top-level-project (am I a gump committer? I forgot. Does my
vote count? Does it matter? ;))

While I'm at it, here's me volunteering to help out with "bureaucratic"
and/or "infrastructural" stuff as much as time permits. I'm warmly in
the middle of the apparent neccessity that is incubator (on the PMC
there) so that could help.

= Board Resolution =

Here's a resolution draft (most of it is boilerplate, but I imagine some
people haven't read one before :D):
        open-source software related to continuous integration, for
        distribution at no charge to the public.

        Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Gump PMC", be and hereby
        is established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it
        further

        RESOLVED, that the Gump PMC be and hereby is responsible for
        the creation and maintenance of software related to continuous
        integration, based on software licensed to the Foundation; and be
        it further

        RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Gump" be and
        hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at
        the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
        Gump PMC, and to have primary responsibility for management of
        the projects within the scope of responsibility of the Gump
        PMC; and be it further

        Gump PMC:

[Issue: fill out PMC roster]

        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that

[Issue: decide on PMC chair recommendation]

        be
        and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice President, Gump,
        to serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
        death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification, or
        until a successor is appointed; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the initial Gump PMC be and hereby is tasked
        with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open
        development and increased participation in the Gump Project;
        and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the initial Gump PMC be and hereby is tasked
        with the migration and rationalization of the Jakarta PMC
        Gump subproject; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Jakarta
        Gump sub-project encumbered upon the Gump PMC
        be hereafter discharged.

= What is a PMC? =

Here's a bit of overview I sent a while back to some peeps we added to
the avalon PMC:
(and some interested ASF members) discusses
sensitive issues. If all is well, there's not a
lot of e-mail traffic at all :D

What does PMC membership get you? You get to vote
on project releases, on addition of new pmc
members, on stuff like our charter, etc. You also
assume responsibility over those things. If the
avalon project somehow screws things up, the PMC
is where the ASF board will come a-knockin' (not
that such will happen . Finally, it gets you
some additional legal protection. Take a look at

http://avalon.apache.org/community/process/mission.html
http://avalon.apache.org/community/process/pmc.html
http://avalon.apache.org/community/process/pmc-votes.html
http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws.html

for more background. And, as always, questions
and comments are welcome!

= What is a PMC chair? =

Here's a bit of overview I sent a while back when avalon was in the
process of finding a new chair:
What kind of person should be PMC Chair?
Someone who can be smart and reasonable, who can keep his head cool. It
needs to be someone (imho) with an active involvement with the project.

What does the PMC Chair do?
---------------------------
* send quarterly reports to the board. It's perfectly fine to ask for
input from others and write the report with the entire PMC, but the
chair is responsible for the timing and accuracy of the report.

* handle a few other procedural things, like checking for CLAs or
notifying the board of PMC mutations.

* send reports earlier or later if there's big things that the
board/members should be aware of.

* be on the board@apache.org list to be aware in an early stage of
asf-wide things affecting the project.

* protect the ASFs interest for 'his' project. The primary
responsibility of a chair is (according to the bylaws) to the ASF
organisation.

* protect the community interest for 'his' project, but this is a task
shared much more explicitly by all of the PMC.

* overrule PMC decisions or voting stalemate when he deems neccessary. I
can't think of a single case where this has happened over the past year.
<snip/>

* perform all the other normal PMC duties (since he is a PMC member as
well).

What does the PMC Chair not do?
-------------------------------
A lot of things :D. For example,

* act against the ASFs interests (or its membership).

* act against board decree, policy, or membership decision.

* mediate. I saw a few people say that. While, on the basis of the
chair's authority, it may be natural to think he should mediate any
conflict, that's not neccessarily true. In the light of his
responsibility, he must ensure a resolution of conflicts, but nowhere
does it say he has to mediate that. He could make decisions all by
himself, or ask someone to mediate, or just let the community handle it
in a JFDI manner.

* make technical decisions.

* 'abuse' his position.

= Issue: PMC Roster =

Who will be on the Gump Project Management Committee? Ideally, the PMC
consists of "all active committers" on a project. With Gump, it may be a
bit difficult to figure out who exactly are "all active committers". For
example, I help maintain what's currently the sort-of "primary" gumpy
installation and have helped in the past (not so much lately :D)
maintain descriptors, but have never contributed much code, and I don't
think I'm even a committer here. The fact that I never needed to be a
committer in order to participate is kinda fun: it shows gump is a group
with very little heated stuff that results in controversial votes.

I think most active "friends of gump" should consider a position on the
Gump PMC.

How do you guys want to decide who will and will not get on the PMC?
Simple self-nomination / restriction to committers, who can opt-out /
something else?

Also note that a PMC chair can add PMC members later rather easily, it
just takes an e-mail or two and a 72hour delay.

I'd like to be on the Gump PMC.

= Issue: PMC Chair =

Who should be the Gump PMC chair and ASF officer? Do you guys want to do
nominations, volunteering? Hold a vote? Hold the vote privately or publicly?

(...)

I think Adam is a natural candidate, as are Stefan, Sam and perhaps
Nicola. I'm willing to fill the role as well if need be.

= Issue: project charter =

The board charter needs a basic definition of what gump is all about. It
somehow seems wrong dubbing it being about "social experimentation" in
the resolution. I put in the plain and simple "continuous integration",
which probably fits the bill.

There's also the 'anomaly' that gump is not just about software, its
also about metadata, and maintaining a running gump instance or two. I'm
not sure what should be put into the resolution regarding that.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

  people wouldn't obey the rules."