gump-general mailing list archives

From "Anou Manavalan" <anou_m...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: jUDDI Gump build failing
Date Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:03:43 GMT
I agree. Changing our code will give problems for users with older version
of Axis.

Can anyone in Axis group tell us if this can be changed in Axis or is it an
unavoidable change that needs to be there breaking the older version
compatibility ?

regards,
-Anou

>From: "Adam R. B. Jack" <ajack@trysybase.com>
>To: <juddi-dev@ws.apache.org>
>CC: "Gump code and data" <gump@jakarta.apache.org>,
><axis-dev@ws.apache.org>
>Subject: Re: jUDDI Gump build failing
>Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:36:01 -0700
>
> > jUDDI's AdminServlet extends Axis' AxisServlet and overrides it's init()
> > method. A change to AxisServlet was checked in on January 16 which adds
> > "throws ServletException" to init().
> >
> > I'm unsure if AxisServlet is considered part of Axis' public interface.
>It's
> > small thing to change on our side so I recommend simply adding the
>throws
> > clause for now.
>
>Let me take a little time to try to explain things from Gump's perspective,
>respond to Andy's concern, agreeing w/ Steve's suggestion (above), and end
>on some questions...
>
>Gump is looking to the future, far far in the future, since the combination
>of projects in CVS today is not likely to hit the streets as a releases any
>time soon. [Some yes, but not all.] Anyway, so Gump is looking to find
>problems that haven't occurred in the field yet & give the projects
>involved
>chance to figure out what to do.
>
>Basically here, AXIS made a change that affected to you. The may have done
>it because their up stream interface forced them to changed (quite likely
>in
>this case given this exception) or it may have been an intentional or
>unintentional unilateral change. That is one question, and will they/can
>they undo their change? If not, the question becomes, do you follow suit
>with the change, and can you without messing with your release dependencies
>and/or creating a discontinuity?
>
>Interestingly adding a 'throws' change doesn't change signatures, so
>doesn't
>affect runtime dynamic linking (I believe). It might make an ugly mess at
>runtime (if thrown) but that is speculation. If your library gets deployed
>against a newer release/build of AXIS with this servlet, you are probably
>ok -- albeit somewhat dodgy.
>
>The question of if you add a 'throws' then what happens to developers
>compile/run against older AXIS (not wanting to move to CVS HEAD, say,
>perhaps sticking to the last release). Would the compiler try to get funny
>and complain, or simple warn?
>
>I'm curious what more experienced Gumpers have to say on this. Any advice
>from prior experience? I assume the default reaction is to keep step with
>dependencies, if at all possible w/o causing too much developer grief, but
>maybe there is some clever compromise when runtime signature don't change.
>
>regards
>
>Adam

Plan your next US getaway to one of the super destinations here.
http://special.msn.com/local/hotdestinations.armx