gump-general mailing list archives

From Antoine Lévy-Lambert <anto...@antbuild.com>
Subject Re: [GUMP@lsd]: avalon/avalon failed
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:31:58 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Friday 27 February 2004 13:51, Gump Integration Build wrote:
>

>>To whom it may engage...
>>

>Leo, Having looked at Gump a couple of times, I am still confused over how it
>works and basically have no clue.

I am also starting to look at Gump, and do not understand everything yet
either. ;-)

>1. Why doesn't it pick up Maven project descriptors instead, since to me it
>seems that most is available in that? Does it have to use Ant?

Adam Jack and/or Stefan Bodewig will answer this one better than me. O:-)

>2. Can you give some pointer which explains the rationale instead of the
>details, and "how to go about" getting it to work?
>
>For instance, in the nag email that is coming, there are references to
>non-existent directories. Is that a declaration in Avalon Gump descriptors or
>is part of something else?

The aim of gump is to check that a number of projects can build against
the head revision of each other,
in order to avoid a "jar hell" situation.

I sent an email earlier to the list with a patch to a descriptor which
should be able to help. On the gump side of
things, we are wondering whether we should not repatriate all the gump
project descriptors in the gump
CVS. Even then, we will always need from time to time some cooperation
from individual projects.
Particularly when new dependencies are being added to a project, or
sometimes to find creative ways
of bridging situations when one of your dependencies has built in an
incompatible change in CVS HEAD
(happens unfortunately sometimes), and there is no released version yet
that you could check in
in your lib directory reflecting the new API, or ... plenty of special
cases I am not thinking about
but could happen.

Now for all practicall purposes, could you try to check in my patch ? :-)

>Cheers,
>Niclas

Cheers,

Antoine