gump-general mailing list archives

From Antoine Lévy-Lambert <anto...@antbuild.com>
Subject Re: various gump remarks/problems
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:53:55 GMT
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

>Could you take on a challenge that I've not been able to, yet? Rsync ... it
>is a major pain, 'cos it has bugs [not deleting what it ought] & 'cos it is
>not pure Python. There are Python choices (thanks Nicola for the original
>reference) but we'd need to weigh these verse writting our own:

I think all we want is to sync two directories (we can forget about the
r from rsync).
I think we better have our own, but we can use outside inspiration.
I am willing to write it.

>http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=gump@jakarta.apache.org&msgNo=3026
>
>http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/231501
>
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/dirssync/
>
>http://www.homepages.lu/pu/dfp.html
>
>I don't know the OSS world well enough to know if we can use GPL code,
>bundle it, whatever.

No, we should leave GPL code alone, because the GPL license is viral.

>I don't know the Python world to know if we ought
>'expect' packages installed, or (like we did w/ logging) we ought dump them
>in our CVS. Are you able to look into this, and select a solution? If you
>get one, I'd work with you to get it into Gumpy.

Sync is simple enough (to me) so that we write our own solution. I think
it is just a recursive copy (possibly skipping files which have same
datetime and size
at source and destination), then a deletion of files which exist at
destination and do not exist at source. I am willing to write the stuff.

I think we can start with a very basic implementation, ignoring symlinks
and file permissions issues. I understand we are mostly syncing CVS
trees which I don't think contain symlinks, and where all the files
are read write. If needs be we can always make it more complicated.

>BTW: If we port all these, would we not needs cgywin? I'm hoping not.

If we port all these, then we do not need cygwin any more. What we do
need is a cvs client, people setting up Gump instances
on M$ can choose between a Win32 or a cygwin cvs client, both can work.

>>>BTW: How long does it 'hang' in forrest? How big is your workspace? [If
>>>

>you
>

>>>don't have forrest on the path it ought use text...]
>>>

>>I have seen messages on the screen running Forrest Documenter and
>>running Text Documenter, I do not remember in which order.
>>It took ages, and in the end my CPU was all eaten, I could not start
>>another program.

I tried to hack the code in forrest.py where the seed command is called,
but hacked it badly.
I have just tried to run forrest by hand, and it was complaining about
the skinconf.xml missing a <toc> element,
then about other files missing.
Now I moved temporarily my content, then run forrest seed, put the
content back and run forrest by hand and it looks like it is working.
Cheers,
Antoine