gump-general mailing list archives

From Antoine Lévy-Lambert <anto...@antbuild.com>
Subject Re: Nagging the cause vs. Nagging the effect
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:32:37 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> I think the key is that the gump runs as for Gump or Gumpy do *not*
>> contain enough information.
>

> what might work sometimes is (pattern) matching the <package/>
> statements of the dependencies against the errors produced by javac or
> unit tests, and cvs history.
>
> that would've caught the xml-batik error, I think. I mean,
>
>     [javac]
> /data/gump/xml-batik/sources/org/apache/batik/script/rhino/BatikSecurityController.java:69:

> org.apache.batik.script.rhino.BatikSecurityController is not abstract
> and does not override abstract method
> callWithDomain(java.lang.Object,org.mozilla.javascript.Context,org.mozilla.javascript.Callable,org.mozilla.javascript.Scriptable,org.mozilla.javascript.Scriptable,java.lang.Object[])

> in org.mozilla.javascript.SecurityController
>     [javac] public class BatikSecurityController extends
> SecurityController {
>
> is clearly showing to any human programmer that whatever produces the
>
>   org.mozilla.javascript
>
> package is the problem, since BatikSecurityController.java presumably
> didn't change since the previous build yet started causing a
> compilation failure.
>
> you'd need to be pretty intelligent about parsing the error message
> though. But it seems to be there in some way, without needing /that/
> many statistics.

What I also find interesting is that - once you have analyzed the
circumstances which led to the failed build - there is then a period
where you need to discuss with the various parties involved.

In that particular case there were 4 alternatives :

- do nothing : then gump goes on with a large failure rate,
- make the xml-batik guys implement quickly the new method from the
abstract class (this was my first reaction),
- make the rhino guys fix their stuff (this was what Adam Jack did),
- adapt Gump, by building xml-batik against a packaged js until the
weather becomes better (I was nearly there)

Exploring these possibilitiies is not something that the computer will
do for us.

This is the exciting bit, which explains the sentence "Gump is a social
experiment" on the Gump web page.

Cheers,

Antoine