gump-general mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [proposal] Is it time for gump.apache.org?
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:11:50 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On 30 Jan 2004, at 09:04, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>> But do you really think that three or four people make up a community
>> big enough to warrant a TLP?
>

> Yes, in this particular case I do and I think this is mostly a
> chicken/egg problem.
>
> Gump, IMO, fails to attract the attention it deserves mostly for two
> reasons:
>
>  1) it "so looks" like a nightly build system that when people find out
> it's not, they think it's screwed and don't bother go forward
>
> [you probably wouldn't believe how many people don't really know what
> gump is for and believe it's a nighthly build too that simply doesn't
> work because it misses the real dependencies so it fakes them using the
> HEAD of CVS]
>
> D'oh!

I understood what gump is. and its use has an important place, I just
though there was a possibility for combining the processes of nightly
build and integration test.

>  2) it's trapped in jakarta and jakarta is notoriously misfunctional in
> allowing its internal projects to create their own cultural identity

Jakarta is what you make of it, in my opinion, its a foundry, eventually
a project may outgrow jakarta as a foundry. If your project is ready to
go out on its own to get more exposure/identity, go for it.