gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Best Practices
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2003 08:57:30 GMT
On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Adam R. B. Jack <ajack@trysybase.com> wrote:

> http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/metadata/practices.html

I'm currently lacking a forrest installation and wouldn't know how to
generated the pages anyway, that's why I've just changed the source
XML (ran ispell over it).

Re: don't create full distributions

Ant used Gump as its nightly build machine, so did some other projects
(JMeter and OJB IIRC).  I think this is OK, but should be a separate
project definition.  And projects doing so should be aware that they
may not get a nightly build if one of the projects they depend upon
fails to build.

Some other best practices:

* Try to avoid installed dependencies to detect changes in the projects
you depend upon early.

* Watch the build results not only of your project but also the
projects that depend on yours to detect backwards cincompatible
changes in your project early.

* If you rename output jars or move files/build directories around,
remember to update the Gump descriptor.

Stefan