gump-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gump builds a-la-carte?
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:31:44 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Dec 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>we can start using it as a continuous integration tool done on a
>>per-commit basis.
>
> Depends on how far you want to go with "continuous integration" 8-)
>
> If a commit to Ant triggers a rebuild of bootstrap-ant, that may be
> OK, but a rebuild of all projects?  This may become too heavy even for
> a dedicated box.

Of course.

> If only bootstrap-ant gets rebuilt, we'd still need regularly
> scheduled full builds.

Yup, this is the idea.

This was my initial thought: we two Gump instances.

  * incremental
  * nightly

We start with a nightly. After it's finished, we copy all over to the
incremental section.

Then each commit will trigger the rebuild of the relative project, using
the artifacts of the latest nightly build, as we are using that for a base.

Then each subsequent build would use the latest arifacts from the other
incremental project-only builds.

After the nightly has completed again, the incremental section is wiped
out and it restarts with the contents taken from the nightly.

There are some things to be solved, like the fact that depending
projects may be building alongside and there could be aproblem of
resource contention...

So in the end maybe the best thing is to make the incremental Gump use
the latest nightly jars for all the projects it builds, and simply not
publish the results. So project builds from commits are done with the
latest nightly jars, which is effective enough and easy to do.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -