gump-general mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Replacing Packages?
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2003 12:24:39 GMT
On 8 Dec 2003, at 18:59, Leo Simons wrote:

> Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>> Hmm, I wonder if this has been proposed before, it seems kinda
>> obvious...
>> Other than the distastefulness of having jars in CVS or SVN, why not
>> replace
>> packaged projects with those in modules? We could have a gump-packages
>> module (or modules) that houses the jars, so we'd no longer need
>> machine
>> access in order to update jars. I see a few projects create
>> 'mini-projects'
>> for their packages stuff, so why don't we do this centrally for the
>> main
>> ones?
>> Thoughts?
>
> no-can-do. We have a licensing issue there (can't redistribute the sun
> jars, for example). We might be able to do this if we keep the cvs
> repo private though. Not sure.

i suspect that there are going to be some thorny licensing issues even
with a private repository - for example, it may be that only ASF
members could use this repository. i'm not sure what progress has been
made but there is a apache-wide effort being made to house a repository
of distributions that we know we can redistribute. maybe that'd be a
good place to get answers to these questions...

- robert