gump-general mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Gump and Maven
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2003 07:22:18 GMT
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Brett Porter <bporter@f2network.com.au> wrote:

> Say Maven changes something that breaks some else's build - this is
> probably of interest to both Maven and the gumped project as soon as
> possible. On the other hand, if Maven is broken (heaven forbid!),
> you really don't want to stop all the Maven projects from building.

This is what currently happens when Ant is broken.  If bootstrap-ant
fails, you get a lot of missing prereqs.  This has happened a few
times and we've started to hand out "I broke Gump tonight" T-Shirts in
dev@ant 8-)

> The sensible thing to do is to fall back to a released version of
> Maven if Maven itself fails to build.

I don't think this is unique to Maven (or Ant).  It applies to all
projects others may depend upon.  It would certainly be better to use
the "last good build" of Tomcat instead of not building Cactus at all
for example.

> I've addressed this to a separate mail on the gump list (interested
> parties should probably join the discussion there).

OK, next follow-up won't be a cross-post 8-)

Stefan

--
http://stefanbodewig.blogger.de/