gump-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bootstrapping
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:05:59 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> If you moved the avalon descriptors back under Gump's CVS we might be
> able to get it working some day again.  And after that we'd probably
> need to move the Coccon descriptors as well .  8-)

Adam, welcome to the world of descriptor placement hell ;-)

Cocoon basically uses a build system that works similarly to an old
version of Centipede. It uses the Gump descriptor to define the
dependencies and build all the Cocoon projects (src/blocks).

Now, this is the same problem we had with Centipede projects. Centipede
wants the descriptor in the project dir, while for Gump it's better if
the access is centralized.

There have been discussions about this, but no real final answer.

I think that keeping the descriptor in the project CVS solves teh
problem *if* the project uses it to build. Currently Cocoon uses it only
partially, and does not download the jars based on what is on the
descriptor.

This is one of the reasons why I want Ruper here, so that I can make the
jars be downloaded and used as stated in the Gump descriptor.

This is not a final solution probably, but IMHO something that would
make the descriptors more up2date.

Another thing is the Viprom, a virtual project object model, that
projects can use to take the project infos from the Gump descriptor.
This should IMHO make the descriptor even more up2date.

Other ideas?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -