gump-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Rall <...@finemaltcoding.com>
Subject Re: gump.apache.org (on moof?)
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:55:56 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> On 12 Nov 2003, at 07:18, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> Chris Pepper wrote:

>>>     This shouldn't be too bad -- the built-in ipfw is quite capable
>>> of blocking 8080; just make sure there's already a listener on any
>>> open ports before starting gump, and attempts to listen on such ports
>>> (by gump processes) should generate an error rather than a security
>>> hole. Not that I've tested this theory...
>>>     "sudo ipfw list".
>>

>> Generating an error would result in a test failing which would result
>> in emails sent to developers indicating that there is a bug which
>> needs to be addressed... in general, this is not the desired behavior.
>

> Exactly. This is my concern as well, not security (we'll firewall port
> 8080 anyway... hosting servlets straight from a pure java servlet engine
> is foolish)

Would configuring an additional aliased network interface be helpful here?  For
instance, bind any running Tomcat to a high port on the public network interface
(e.g. eth0), and provide an alias (e.g. eth0:0) with a private IP address or the
loopback interface for use by the test cases.  Or do these tests cases always
try and bind to port 8080 on all interfaces?