gump-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Python Gump
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 22:28:59 GMT
Hey Adam,

Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> If it is ok with all, I'd like to wait until I get a CVS id before I
> continue.

well, of course! Its not like your boss hangs around here, is it? ;)

> I have a script gumpy.sh that (1) updates gump from CVS [getting
> latest Python code] (2) runs integrate (which checks environment/loads
> workspace/updates/builds/update statistics/documents/and generates RSS). It
> is easier for me to test on a number of workspaces at once if I can cron
> that script rather than copying files, running, fixing, etc.
>
> As soon as I have the id I will complete this (building site.xml and
> book.xml per directory). I'd still appreciate input/help on the skin from
> some Forrest experts. The Red/Yellow/White is out of my league, and may be
> just plain anti-forrest, but I do miss it...

I took a look at how that could be done. I can't really figure it out in
under 20 minutes. Given all the power inside forrest, I really doubt it
can't be done. But also given that power, I have no idea where to start.
This may require a modified document-gump-v12 DTD and an associated XSL
styleseheet or two. Lets all agree to bug Nicola until he volunteers :D

> Also, what ought be done about proposals/aj_python? Ought I keep working in
> there until I've proven that this works (builds all succeed) and it builds
> nice xdocs/RSS? What is your pleasure?

in general: at the moment, you're the guy doing the work, who knows the
code the best; you're probably also the best guy to evaluate all the
different code organisation options.

Generic advice: we can always change it later. We use cvs precisely
because it provides us with functionality like "undo". Given python gump
is still in 'alpha' stage, you should not be *too* worried with breaking
some things.

More generic advice: do the simplest thing that would possibly work. If
that means a seperate tree called "aj_python", that is a good option.
When you find the "aj_" prefix becomes annoying or people get confused
or there is any other reason why that no longer works, it is time to move.

My personal preference? Merge the trees ASAP :D

cheers!

- LSD