gump-general mailing list archives

From Michael Davey <Michael.Da...@coderage.org>
Subject Gump status, design & direction
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:45:20 GMT
Hello,

I am trying to get to grips with Gump and am confusing myself with
respect to the various build mechanisms.  I've read pretty much every
message in the archive covering the last eight weeks and searched for
likely terms in the other messages to get an idea of the history.

As I understand it, there are essentially 3 subprojects:

  *  shell Gump (the original, using a mixture of jenny.jar, build.sh,
update.sh, nag.pl, gen.sh and gump.sh (or .bat), plus xslt transformations)
  *  Ant Gump (experimental - shell still needed for some targets/tasks)
  *  Python Gump (also experimental - I haven't looked too closely at
this one)

Now, gen.sh does all its Java stuff directly, while gump.sh uses Ant for
some of the Java targets.

I was planning to make some minor improvements to gump.sh and was also
considering replacing some of the scripting with Ant targets - is the
latter the right thing to do?  gen.sh shouldn't use Ant targets, but may
directly call into Jenny.jar, right?

Actually, it would be nice to have STATUS, STATUS-ANT and STATUS-PYTHON
files for us newbies, so we don't ask (so many) stupid questions on the
alias ;)

Finally, is the long-term plan that shell Gump gets replaced with Ant
and/or Python or that all three are offered and users choose the one
best suited to their needs?

--
Michael