gump-general mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FOG Factor
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2003 19:19:03 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>

>> So how do you set up optional dependencies?  I've seen GUMP fail before
>> were the dependency was supposed to be optional.
>

> Without a specific instance that you can cite, this is hard to debug.
>
> If a dependency is optional, the results won't be found in the
> classpath.  I've seen some Ant build files that don't properly handle
> optional dependencies - in each case it was a simple bug or oversight.

TO be honest, it has been a while... Perhaps before the feature was
added.  I have not been following GUMP that closely until more recently.

I also noticed that the XML Entities are not processing properly,
causing just about everything to fail, which was in part to central
projects failing because of that.  However that does not demonstrate
how optional components fail.

However it did show some very surprising things.  For instance,
Excalibur I18N is somehow linked to Commons CLI which failed because
another Commons project failed which failed because Commons Logging
failed, which failed because Avalon LogKit used an entity in the
build file.

I18N does not specify any kind of command line interface, and looking
at the GUMP descriptor did not give any clues as to how or why
the Commons projects were included at all.

To me it is a big mystery.