gump-general mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Dedicated build machines?
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 16:28:37 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> How long does it take to have a GUMP run go?
>

> on a desktop-class duron 1ghz / 256MB 266DDR / UDMA1000 7200rpm / red
> hat linux / 100mbit / sun jdk1.4.1 machine, it takes about 3 hours to
> rsync and copy over all the cvs modules, then it takes about 4 hours to
> perform all the builds.
>
>> I guess a corrolery to the question of how *long* the build takes is
>> how much space do the builds take?
>

> about 4GB on my machine atm.

Hmm.  The 3 hours to rsync and copy all the CVS modules would be highly
dependant on the internet connection bandwidth.  The four hours for a
build is seemingly unavoidable though.

Essentially you are saying that a completely fresh GUMP run will require
roughly 7 hours from start to finish.  In order to get the four hour
interval I would like we would need two machines running the builds
constantly.  Each machine would do three builds a day.

The 4 GB is problamatic for me.  I only have so much room on my laptop
drive, esp. since I installed .NET Visual Studio (which consumes about
that much space itself).

Does GUMP have the ability to determine dependencies so that if all I
wanted to do was run GUMP builds on one project with its dependencies,
it would be able to generate the proper profile for me?

I only have about 2GB to offer for GUMP runs.