gump-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Python Gump
Date Wed, 07 May 2003 11:35:53 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:
> Adam Jack wrote:
>
>> Is there a readme or something for getting started?
>
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?GumpPython
>
> not sure if it still accurate after latest changes.

It is still fairly accurate.

Key point is that where most of the action is at the moment is in
gumpview.  I launch it at the moment with the following:

SET PYTHONPATH=C:\jakarta-gump\python
CD /d C:\jakarta-gump\python
python jakarta-gump\view.py

Prereqs are Python and wxPython.  The first time you run it, it takes an
extra minute or so to download all the external project definitions.
Subsequent runs load in seconds.

If you select a project, you can walk the project dependencies in both
directions, see what prereqs aren't installed, see the actual classpath
and properties used in the ant builds, and see what jars a project
produces.  One pane initially shows the fully expanded XML project
definition (implicit dependencies added, properties resolved, etc).

You actually can run a build from this tool.  A typical scenario is to
select the project that you are interested in, check the prereqs and
dependencies tabs.  If a dependency failed, you can click on it to go to
that project.  Press the 'run' icon to build it.  If it succeeds, press
the 'back' button to return to the project you started with and repeat.

More detailed information on what is being done can be found in the
console window which you can access by pressing the console icon.

This is still evolving rapidly.  What I like most about it is that
everything is visible.  I can see immediately what the classpath and
properties are, and which ones are not likely to be satisfied.  As we
(primarily NKB and myself at the moment) see more information that would
be useful, we add it.

- Sam Ruby