gump-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Why cvsdir? [was Re: cvs commit: jakarta-gump/python/gump view.py]
Date Sat, 10 May 2003 15:02:26 GMT

Sam Ruby wrote, On 09/05/2003 19.50:

> Let's look at the initial use case for Gump... a batch and overnight
> build all.
>
> First day a clean checkout is done.  Imagine a build is done in that
> directory.  Now what do we do on day two?
>
> 1) We could rm -rf followed by a clean cvs checkout.
>
> 2) We could have done the initial checkout to another location, and then
> synchronize the two.  There are commands like rsynch which do this very
> efficiently, even when the source and target are on the same machine.

Cool, I get it.

> Option 2 has a number of secondary advantages.  First is that because a
> cvs update is done on the second day, you can actually get a list of
> what files have changed.  This is a very useful report to have when you
> find a failure or want to know if your change that you committed at the
> last minute made it in.

Ahaaa.

> Another advantage is the one that Stephan mentioned.  By having a clean
> checkout local, you can do a lot more experimental changes on your build
> copy always knowing that you can resynch back to [or easily diff
> against] the point where you last checked out (which may be different
> than the current state of the CVS repository).

Yes, this was the only use-case I understood.

> Finally, a cvs update is often more bandwidth friendly than a complete
> checkout.

Yup, makes sense from a batch and overnight build system.

> Now as to what I would consider common, day to day, interactions:
>
> 1) resynch with cvsdir (i.e., wipe out my changes)
> 2) update basedir against the cvs repository (i.e. merge)
>
> That's it!  Updating cvsdir is generally best done in batch, or can be
> relegated to a menu option.

So it means IIUC that cvsdir is basically useless for day2day coding,
when I don't want to wipe out stuff (I reckon it a not-so-common feature
for "normal" builders).

Ok then, I will assume that cvsdir is just a local CVS "cache" of
last-known-good-stuff.

  1) cvs update (basedir)
  2) get from cache (cvsdir -(clean)-> basedir)
  3) update of cache (cvsdir)

It makes sense. Thanks for bearing me, yesterday was a hellish day.
I will do the changes ASAP.

I added your explanation to the Wiki, it seems very important as a
use-case doc.
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?WhyCvsDir

             - verba volant, scripta manent -