gump-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Does Gump ignore the build script?
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 13:24:10 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> I edited Fortress's build script to not build the BCEL classes if that
> library doesn't exist.  Unfortunately, the Fortress GUMP build didn't
> work because it tried to compile those classes.
>
> Is there something that was missed?
>
> I added the BCEL dependency, but that does pose a potential issue.
> I think the hardest thing to understanding Gump is that it doesn't
> uphold the assumptions that you may have about the build process.
> IOW, just because a build works on your local machine doesn't mean
> it will work in GUMP--and that is not strictly because another
> project changed their API.  In fact it is more common that it is
> because the GUMP descriptor is not right.
>
> Is there a way to fix that?

Gump uses your build.xml, but supplies that build.sysclasspath=only
property [1].  Gump does not use your build.sh or build.bat files.

What is "more common" depends on the project.  For most projects, once
the gump descriptor is correct, it stays working.  This is clearly not
true for projects that are in alpha states.

- Sam Ruby