gump-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-gump/project junit-addons.xml
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:08:55 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Gianugo Rabellino <gianugo@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>>> thanks a lot! I'm wondering though what does an XML parser bring:
>>> AFAIU everything should have been JAXP-abstracted so that having
>>> xml-apis should have been enough...
>>
>> The parser brings the implementation of the interfaces defined in
>> xml-apis.
>
> Of course, but what has it to do with *compilation*? I understand that
> Gump is not running stuff, it's "just" compiling it so having a need for
> a concrete implementation around might be a sign of bad decoupling. What
> am I missing?

Gump is running stuff... it is running Ant.  It is Ant that needs a
concrete implementation of the parser.

When it comes time to run junit tests on the addons themselves, Gump may
(indirectly) be running more stuff.

There has occasionally been talk about refactoring the dependencies so
that the choice of implementation for a particular API is something that
could be specified outside of the project definitions, but (1) that work
has never been done, and (2) such implementation would need to allow for
the ability of projects to specifically override this choice.

- Sam Ruby