gump-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] gump.py
Date Sun, 13 Apr 2003 15:34:09 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>Next is the actual Gump Object Model.  The way the base classes are
>>defined, only the non-leaf parts of the gump object model which actually
>>have logic associated with them require definition.  The definitions
>>consist of simple declarations of expected elements, and whether one or
>>multiple elements are expected of each.
>
> In light of a future chance of using gump for non-java projects,
> wouldn't it be better to name this object model with names which are
> semantically connected to the functionality they wrap and not with the
> tool that currently implements it?

Change it.

I made a number of changes to the current Gump based on peoples input.
I moved from 100% xslt to recoding the major portion of the front end in
Java based on complaints that Gump would never have a development
community unless it were rewritten in Java.  I have not seen a
significant difference in participation in the two parts of Gump.

This RT is not an experiment to see if I can code more efficiently in
Python than Java, but to test the assertion that if Gump were recoded in
Python that it would attract a larger community.

>>Next, we need to figure out how to handle external project definitions.
>>The speed of this script would degrade significantly if these were
>>read every time.  Either some sort of caching which is only explicitly
>>updated based upon request is needed, or a serialization of the full
>>merged definition (like to the current Jenny logic does) is required.
>
> I don't understand this, can you be more specific?

Try running the provided script.  It takes one to two seconds on the
three machines I have tried it on.  It occurs to me that I could use
this infrastructure to do builds directly from the gump definitions
WITHOUT any need for a generation step.

Add in all the HTTP gets, and this is likely to take a minute or more,
even with a fast internet connection.

>>Finally, the logic current placed in XSLT stylesheets would need to be
>>accomondated.
>
> Do you still envision the use of XSLT?

I have no preconceived notion at this time.  I will say that I am a big
fan of Cheetah, which is a Python port of Velocity.

http://www.cheetahtemplate.org/

My weblog is powered by Cheetah.

>>Given the way that this implementation unifies elements and attributes,
>>it is regretful that projects have a package attribute (which indicates
>>where the installed packages reside) and a package element (which
>>identifies the java package(s) a given project implements).
>
> I don't get it: both attributes and elements become object properties?

Yes.  I hope my examples in the provided source illustrate this well.

- Sam Ruby