gump-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Question on profiles
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:58:20 GMT

We have now basically one profile, ./profiles/gump.xml.

It would seem logical to make for example a "krysalis" profile for those
that only want to build krysalis projects with Gump.

http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/overview.html :
'A profile is a collection of projects and repositories that are
logically to be considered a unit. A profile can provide a consistent
set of installable dependencies, or tagged versions of cvs modules to be
used.'

Then it seems logical to remove the krysalis definitions from gump.xml
and simply import two profiles in the workspace.

But... if I do it, I will find myself also with the installed jars being
present in the merge...

I read:
'The way extending or overriding works is quite simple. If two like kind
elements (e.g., project) are located with the same value for the "name"
attribute, they are combined. Combining of attributes results in like
named attributes overriding previous values. Combining of elements
results in concatenation. These rules allow for the easy overriding of a
target and the adding of a dependency.

An area for future exploration is "anti-elements", which cancel out the
effect of other elements'

Sam, I am confused WRT the actual use of a profile, and I guess that I'm
overloading it's significance. Nevertheless, you suggested somewhat to
make a profile for avalon when we were talking about building
avalon-only with Gump.

Could you please give me insight?

TIA

             - verba volant, scripta manent -