gump-general mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-gump/project junit-addons.xml
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:29:32 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

>>> The parser brings the implementation of the interfaces defined in
>>> xml-apis.
>>

>> Of course, but what has it to do with *compilation*? I understand that
>> Gump is not running stuff, it's "just" compiling it so having a need
>> for a concrete implementation around might be a sign of bad
>> decoupling. What am I missing?
>

> Gump is running stuff... it is running Ant.  It is Ant that needs a
> concrete implementation of the parser.

Well, as someone who showed in the past month an "I couldn't care less
about Gump" attitude in Xindice-land as well as a total ignorance in
Gump internals when I finally saw the light, I should just sit in a
corner with a dumbass hat on since sure I don't qualify for rants, but I
hope to be constructive here.

My point is that the dependancy on a concrete parser is not a *project*
dependancy but rather a Gump dependancy (better, an Ant dependancy). I
find somehow misleading to have a project that is about everything but
XML to formally declare a dependancy on a concrete XML parser when
nothing in the *code* actually depends on XML. Also, as I pointed out
before, this might somehow bring to potential problems when a project is
about "pure" Jaxp code.

I'd rather see this dependancy as "implied" in the <ant/> element
(possibly overridable). The idea of the <ant/> element (at least to me,
tell me if I'm wrong) is "this project *depends on* ant and *should be
compiled* using ant". Where "ant" means all the latest ant codebase plus
its own dependancies, XML parser included.

Agreed, this is somehow academic and nitpicking, so I'll just sit in my
corner for a while. :-)

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino