gump-general mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject gump issues under winblows and a suggestion...
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 17:22:49 GMT
So Getting gump to run under Windows is not particularly fun.  (Don't
ask, my hands are tied).

Installing Cygwin helps.  I had a lot of trouble figuring out what the
issues were with the batch files.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't much care for the approach with
the shell scripts (just because it seems to be a pain and gives horrible
feedback when somethings wrong).

I'm curious if it has been suggested before....

Ant files are XML and transforming to them seems to be more natural.
Ant isn't the most kind thing in the world for its "Hey this crap broke"
messages, but it is FAR better than cmd.exe or bash in this respect.

By creating what I imagine would be relatively few additional ant
tasks.. Could this not achieve the same effect while making
multiplatform support several degrees less painful?

I understand gump is striving to be language and language-platform
independant, but I don't see a problem with this, gump requires a VM as
it is, using Ant shouldn't be that big of a deal I wouldn't think.

Anyhow, I'm just curious what problems there are with this approach.  As
my level of pain increases I'll probably experiment with this, but I'm
curious if others have thought of this and what the downsides are...

Thanks for your input,

-Me