gump-general mailing list archives

From d...@multitask.com.au
Subject Re: NSUML and bootstrapping
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2003 02:27:42 GMT
Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote on 02/01/2003 12:50:03 PM:

> dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> >
> > I know there's no descriptor for nsuml, but I thought it better to get

> > graph in and work on the next thing, rather than do it all at once.
> > I've been running gump on my laptop as well, but you'll notice from
posts
> > that it's been a little problematic.
>
> Putting in a descriptor with an unresolved dependency means that that
> component is not built.

Yep, but since the descriptor wasn't there before, does it hurt? It would
be better, I thought, to have the descriptor there at least and once we
get nsuml added, away it goes. Is there some reason I've missed for not
putting the descriptor there?

> 1) first we need maven itself to be built successfully.  Just like we
> bootstrap ant itself and then use that version of ant for the rest of
> the builds, I'd like to always use the latest maven.
>
> 1a) as a corrolary to (1), it would be nice to have a lean core version
> of maven.  As it stands now, maven depends on an awful lot, which means
> that those things it depends on directly or indirectly would need to
> have static descriptors.
Bootstrapping maven is fairly lean. It just uses ant and jaxp. The
bootstrap process does download the jars needed to compile and build maven
though. How does ant get built? xml-commons produces JAXP, and there's a
circular dependency between it and ant, right?

> 2) maven has its own ideas of what versions of dependencies are to be
> used.  There needs to be a way to specify to maven to never use the jars

> provided or to download jars.  All other maven functions, however, can
> work as is.

This is known as the jar override feature. If maven.jar.override is set to
true, then maven looks for a property that tells it the location of that
jar file. i.e. if maven.jar.override=true and maven is looking for 'ant',
it gets the absolute location for the ant jar from the value of the
property 'maven.jar.ant'. We'd need a mapping between gump's project id
and maven's.

Though, it should be easy enough to get gump to set up properties for the
various jars :)

> 3) there also is the issue of ordering maven builds.  Between Maven and
> Gump, somebody would need to understand enough of maven's project
> descriptors to order the compilations of projects.

I figure between the two of us we should be able to do it.

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au