gump-general mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Re: replacing a build dependency system with gump
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:33:07 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Nick Chalko wrote:
>

>> The idea I was toying with was
>>
>>    changing the "drop project becuse missing dependency  foo" step of
>>    gump  to be "adding project foo, to the list of downloads"  and then
>>    have ruper grab all the files and place them in the "packages dir".
>>
>> see http://krysalis.org/cgi-bin/krywiki.pl?RuperDependTask
>

> Can Ruper be bootstrapped?  Would the authors of Ruper consider
> donating  this code to the ASF?

Ruper is a Krysalis project,  David Bernard <dwayne@java-fan.com>  wrote
the code and Nicola and I extended.
Donating the ASF is fine with me, but I know it needs more work and
would like to be involved.

> Both of the above are simply questions - not prerequisites.
>
> As to your specific proposal, I'm concerned about co-evolution.
> Suppose a new Jelly tag requires something to be added to the core of
> Jelly. Since this tag will either be released concurrently with, or
> after Jelly is, this is not a problem.  However, suppose one day
> somebody forgets a semicolon in a commit to Jelly...

My proposal would be option say   gen.sh  --downloadNotDrop

That way people can use gump on whatever subset they want