gump-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-gump/project jakarta-ant.xml jakarta-commons.xml jakarta-taglibs.xml uddi4j.xml xml-crimson.xml xml-xerces.xml
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2003 12:02:41 GMT

Leo Simons wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
>>> To solve the centipede problem @ apache: simply make the gump repo a
>>> requirment for building the project! That might also help 'edjucate'
>>> ignorant developers (like, until recently, me) about the wonders and
>>> importance of gump.

[...]
>> Doesn't it also have to work?
>

> Nicola, I'm really not trying to make your life harder, or make your job
> on centipede more difficult. Really. But fact-of-the-matter, right now,
> and for the past few months, the avalon peeps (including you and me)
> have been terrible at maintaining gump descriptors (or even the build
> process), and until I see things work differently (I've been trying) I'm
> thinking along the same lines Sam is.

For Avalon, as for any *Ant* project, now that Gump is open to all
Apache, I agree. I have in fact moved now the descriptor back in Gump CVS.

My point is about *Centipede* projects. POI now builds fine with Gump,
and it uses Centipede.
If Centipede makes it compulsory to have a descriptor just to do normal
builds, I reckon that putting the descriptor in Gump CVS is not needed,
and even, as I'm trying to suggest, a problem.

[...]

>> Honestly, Leo, imagine you're a Centipede developer. And you want to
>> give an easy build system to your users. Do you really think that your
>> proposal is a real solution?
>

> well, no (and it's not to be taken as a proposal ;). But it is the
> easiest thing that could possibly work (in that I could probably set it
> up). I'm totally supportive for real solutions, but I'm okay with hacky
> solutions until those real solutions arrive (to paraphrase Berin
> "waiting until the next release of [the maven and centipede] projects").

Yes, I agree too. I was thinking about the conceptual idea of having
descriptors for Centipede projects in Gump CVS, and how this would make
things difficult for Centipede projects.

>> Look at it from my perspective too.
>
> I am, I am!

:-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -