gump-general mailing list archives

From Nick Chalko <n...@chalko.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-gump/project jakarta-ant.xml jakarta-commons.xml jakarta-taglibs.xml uddi4j.xml xml-crimson.xml xml-xerces.xml
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 23:10:35 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Sam Ruby wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Suppose centipede had a "gen" step that took a profile or workspace
>> description and produced a single build.xml that could be run
>> completely offline?
>>
>> cvs co jakarta-avalon
>> centipede jakarta-avalon/profile.xml
>> ant jakarta-avalon/build.xml
>>
>> Or, if you prefer, centipede could have options to "gen and run", or
>> "run without regening".
>>
>> Such profiles could even reference multiple projects, and could
>> automatically build each in the correct order.
>>
>> And power users could define workspaces that include multiple
>> profiles, and provide override as appropriate.
>

> Welcome to Centipede's view.
>

> Actually it would be a bit different.
>
> cvs co jakarta-avalon
> cent
>
> I had at one point included Jenny in Centipede to run gen at every
> project descriptor change, but other things needed to be in place to
> make it run.
>
> So now the goal for me is is:
>
>  - centipede builds a single module.
>    Dependencies are traversed if the projects are in the same module,
>    and centipede builds them in the correct order.
>    Outer-module dependencies are automatically downloaded.
>    This is a use-case for excalibur.

Lets add another middle goal.
- centipded builds mutliple arbitrary modules.
   A user defines a set of modules  (a workspace).
    centipede all projects, downloading jars for projects not in the
workspace.

This is the use case I need for my clients.

I think supporting this middle ground will cover both ends.

The default workspace is  ./module.xml
The max workspace is  gump.xml + ./module.xml + others

I think what we con do from centipede is modify gen.sh  (probably in
jenny)
Instead of dropping is project when a dependency is not found.  add  the
depenency as installed package and use ruper(or something) to get the
download the jar.