gump-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-gump/project jakarta-ant.xml jakarta-commons.xml jakarta-taglibs.xml uddi4j.xml xml-crimson.xml xml-xerces.xml
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 22:55:10 GMT

Sam Ruby wrote:
[...]
> Suppose centipede had a "gen" step that took a profile or workspace
> description and produced a single build.xml that could be run completely
> offline?
>
> cvs co jakarta-avalon
> centipede jakarta-avalon/profile.xml
> ant jakarta-avalon/build.xml
>
> Or, if you prefer, centipede could have options to "gen and run", or
> "run without regening".
>
> Such profiles could even reference multiple projects, and could
> automatically build each in the correct order.
>
> And power users could define workspaces that include multiple profiles,
> and provide override as appropriate.

Welcome to Centipede's view.

Actually it would be a bit different.

cvs co jakarta-avalon
cent

I had at one point included Jenny in Centipede to run gen at every
project descriptor change, but other things needed to be in place to
make it run.

So now the goal for me is is:

  - centipede builds a single module.
    Dependencies are traversed if the projects are in the same module,
    and centipede builds them in the correct order.
    Outer-module dependencies are automatically downloaded.
    This is a use-case for excalibur.

  - Centipede shall have a feature that it can automatically install
    a working Gump system with the local Centipede projects.
    The user can then tweak as wanted, and compile every local
    project from local versions using Gump.
    Thus building also non-centipede projects in the process.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -