gump-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-gump/project jakarta-ant.xml jakarta-commons.xml jakarta-taglibs.xml uddi4j.xml xml-crimson.xml xml-xerces.xml
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 22:12:49 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> My view is that the Gump descriptors are the base of the daily builds of
> a project, so that users will be *forced* to maintain most of it, or
> else the project won't compile.

When was the last time jakarta-avalon-excalibur built?  Have any
suggestions on how I *force* Avalon to actually address this?  Daily
nags have not been enough.  Perhaps I should revoke all karma?

Meanwhile cocoon has not been built because it prereqs excalibur.

> Please take my view in account also, if you want.
> And reply to my implementation proposal now that you made yourself heard.

Remember, I was the one who added the support for people to have the
descriptors whereever they wanted.  You put the descriptor where you
want, and keep your project building and Gump is happy.

You ignore daily nags for months on end and Gump gets grumpy.

Meanwhile, I see no need for descriptors which are actively maintained
elsewhere to be redundantly committed automatically to the gump
repository.  I also have an aversion (from a security perspective) of
automated commits to cvs.

> Note: I had to rewrite this mail three times.

Quite frankly, I would have prefered if the creative energy was directed
at getting excalibur to build.   Being able to use gump is not required,
you can reproduce the problem with simply Ant:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-apps-dev&m=103962398723059&w=2

Net-net: keep the builds clean, and keep the descriptors where you want.
  Don't pay attention to the builds, and I will find a way to route
around the damage.

Fair enough?

- Sam Ruby