gump-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Performance of gen.bat
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 14:18:44 GMT
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> Gen.bat on my system (P3 1Ghz, 512M memory) takes around 45 minutes to
> run.
>
> On Sam's machine (specs?) it takes 3 minutes.

P3 1133MHz, 1G RAM

http://www5.pc.ibm.com/us/products.nsf/$wwwPartNumLookup/_26479ku

> During the 'Publishing' step my machine maxes out on CPU and stays that
> way until finished.
>
> As an example between
> - ..\project\jakarta-avalon-site.xml
> and
> - ..\project\jakarta-bcel.xml
>
> is around 13 seconds.

On my thinkpad, if I do this:

> cd /D C:\gump\work>timex
> call publish ..\project\jakarta-avalon-site.xml C:\jakarta\log\module_jakarta-avalon-site.html

The elapsed time is 0.38 seconds.  Furthermore, if I do this:

 > cd /D C:\gump\work
 > puball ..\rubypad.xml

The *entire* step completes in 73.59 seconds.

Looking in the other direction, publish.bat is merely a bunch of echo
statements, and one call out to perl.  Try just running the perl step, thus:

> perl map.pl ..\project\jakarta-avalon-site.xml

On my machine, that takes 0.17 seconds.

- Sam Ruby