guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mjum...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Comparison of Spice-html5 and Guacamole
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2019 14:18:54 GMT
On Fri, Jun 7, 2019, 06:55 Goran <sendmailtogoran@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to use Guacamole's js-Files in a same manner as...
>
> " 1. Start the spice server
>   2. Start websockify; my command line looks like this: ./websockify
> 5959 localhost:5900
>   3. Fire up spice.html, set host + port + password, and click start "

No.

The webapp and core JavaScript API are written to provide a gateway and
with security in mind. In particular, the tunnel is designed to rely on the
server to dictate which remote desktop the user is connecting to and how,
such that the administrator always controls what can and cannot be accessed
by users of the system.

It is possible to provide users with the ability to connect to completely
arbitrary hosts, either through an extension, something like the
recently-added "quickconnnect" extension, or through writing your own
webapp, but that middle part that enforces server-side control (the tunnel)
is critical. I wouldn't recommend trying to work around that intended
control due to the security implications of allowing such an unrestricted
level of access.

- Mike