guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mjum...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Where does guacd check for libjpeg-turbo?
Date Sat, 13 Apr 2019 17:09:43 GMT
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 6:58 AM Zer0Cool <melin3710@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess to clarify, to this point I had been using symlinks with
> libjpeg-turbo (2.0.2 rpm, CentOS/RHEL 7.x), specifically:
>
> ln -vfs /opt/libjpeg-turbo/include/* /usr/include/
> ln -vfs /opt/libjpeg-turbo/lib??/* /usr/lib64/

It would be better to set CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and the system-wide linker paths
appropriately. Trying to effectively move all required files into the
existing default locations via symbolic links will be brittle. It also
seems self-defeating if you are trying to keep your build of libjpeg-turbo
separate from the system paths.

The problem is, part of the 2nd command fails, seemingly with
> /opt/libjpeg-turbo/lib64/pkgconfig/ and /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/ (cannot
> overwrite directory).
>
> Despite the failure Guacamole still works seemingly without issue.

Guacamole is still building because pkgconfig is not used by the Guacamole
build for libjpeg. What you're doing here may break other builds that do
use pkgconfig, though. I don't recommend doing this. See above.

> This made me question, what exactly I need to symlink to for it function
> properly. Do I just need to adjust the second command not to fail/attempt
> the /pkgconfig portion or am I symlinking too much?

You are symlinking too much. It would be better to configure your system
such that it can find things where they are actually installed.

I have tried adding addition switches to the ln command and nothing has
> prevented the error. For now I have my error handler skip this command
> using
> "|| true" at the end but want to verify that I am handling libjpeg-turbo
> correctly. Documentation on its setup with Guac is next to non-existent.

On the setup of what? The Guacamole build covers the Guacamole build, and
that should be pretty thorough. With respect to the Guacamole build vs.
dependencies of that build, it's not within the scope of some project X to
cover the specifics of building another project Y.

If you need documentation covering building libjpeg-turbo on a platform
that lacks it, libjpeg-turbo would be the place to turn for that. If you
need documentation covering installing libraries and header files, I
suggest looking over the environment variables and options used by your
system's linker and compiler. We don't document how the build locates
libraries because it doesn't - it's the existing components of your system
that locate these.

- Mike