guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mjum...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Session management for an enterprise / automaticly creating VNC sessions
Date Thu, 24 Jan 2019 20:49:58 GMT
On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 7:53 AM Nick Couchman <vnick@apache.org> wrote:

>> Hypothetically, if there is a hook and if what we create is generic
>> enough, we could in theory think about open sourc'ing it later as a
>> Guacamole add-on (I will have to discuss with our client first though).
>

> We would certainly love the contributions of source code to the project - we want to
build a community around the project, and the best way is if everyone contributes to that
:-).

It should be possible to be very generic on this, particularly with
the new decoration API. Attributes which describe how the remote
desktop server should be started could be dynamically added to the
connection, and the extension could handle automatically
starting/stopping the applicable services during the connection
process by intercepting the call to connect().

>> In terms of fixed resolution: this is certainly a drawback, however much
>> less from our point of view then having users to create their own
>> session.
>

> This might be something you could work around with the event listener - you might be
able to pull the browser information and pass that along somehow or another during that capture
of the event.  Not 100% certain about that, but might be possible.

As far as fixed vs. dynamic resolution goes, the X.Org driver would
handle this quite nicely. It's probably time to revive development of
that. I've been working recently to make sure support for the "RENDER"
extension for X11 is functional in the driver, but once that's done,
it may be PR time.

Outside of that, there are VNC servers which support setting the
resolution via a request from the client. The main thing limiting us
from implementing that is lack of support for this within the
underlying library (libvncclient). If libvncclient sprouts that
feature, or if we provide an alternative to building against
libvncclient for the VNC backend, this can be done.

- Mike