commented out the logging as a way to keep the plugin from crashing.. Now that its not crashing it doesn't seem to even try to authenticate.  using radtest, I'm able to confirm the radius server is reachable from the guacamole server. I've numbered the authproviders 0radius and 1jbdc as suggested in another thread.  that did not help.  My guacamole property files looks like this

# MySQL properties
mysql-hostname: localhost
mysql-port: 3306
mysql-database: guacdb
mysql-username: xxxxxxx
mysql-password: xxxxxxxx

# Additional settings
mysql-default-max-connections-per-user: 0
mysql-default-max-group-connections-per-user: 0

radius-server: 10.xxx.xxx.xx
radius-auth-port: 1812
radius-shared-secret: xxxxxx
radius-auth-protocol: pap