Mike,
Thanks for the reply.
I'm using OTP for things like vpn and remote access only.  In my configuration, privacyidea is configured to uses ldap as its source of truth, and then handles the OTP.  Radius is used by the application (guac and vpn) against privacy idea to authenticate.  Dropping the first/last N characters does in fact feel hacky, but I'm unsure how to handle my use case.  There may be a better way, but "you don't know, what you don't know"!  I think I saw a post or two that stated Nick uses linotp.  Perhaps he'll have some insight too.
Thanks