guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@glyptodon.org>
Subject Re: client.html modification
Date Sun, 26 Aug 2018 00:54:59 GMT
On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 2:34 AM, Nick Couchman <vnick@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 5:26 AM YOSRA SAADALLAH <yosra.saadallah@enis.tn>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi ,
>>
>> I'm trying to modify /var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/guacamole/app/client/templates/client.html
>>    especially the menu  but it doesn't change !!!
>> even when i replace <h2>{{client.name}}</h2> with <h2></h2>
nothing was
>> changed
>> ( i restarted tomcat7 and guacd and i restarted the pc )
>>

> Changing files within the deployed web application in Tomcat is not a
> reliable way to make changes.  These changes are likely to be overwritten
> when the WAR file is redeployed, which can happen when Tomcat is
> restarted.  If you're needing to change part of the Guacamole code, you
> should do one of two things:
> - Write an extension that makes the desired modifications and deploy that
> extension with the standard Guacamole WAR (http://guacamole.apache.org/
> doc/gug/guacamole-ext.html#ext-patch-html)
> - Change it in source code, recompile the web application, and re-deploy
> the modified WAR (http://guacamole.apache.org/
> doc/gug/installing-guacamole.html#building-guacamole-client)
>
> Also, make sure to clear your browser's cache when making these changes -
> HTML files are likely to be cached by the browser and even if the changes
> are successfully made and deployed, you may not see them for the lifetime
> of the cache.

The above is correct, but I'd like to additionally point out that unless
you (Yosra) intend to manually port your changes to new versions of
guacamole-client as upstream changes are made, it is far better to
encapsulate your changes in an extension (Nick's first suggestion above).
This is why that mechanism exists within the extension system. Manually
modifying the source is not generally a maintainable approach to
customization.

- Mike