guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SAML 2.0 support for Apache Guacamole through CAS
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2018 13:50:21 GMT
On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 9:19 AM stoda06 <daniel.storey@rededucation.com>
wrote:

> Hi Guacamole Gurus!
>
> I'm trying to figure out if I should attempt to get Guacamole working with
> CAS as a SAML 2.0 SP allowing SSO into Guacamole?
>
> Because I've read here (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-103)
> that SAML 2.0 isn't currently supported for Guacamole, but I wouldn't have
> thought this would mean that SAML 2.0 isn't supported through CAS?

Support for authentication via the SAML protocol is a work in progress, but
currently not available in Guacamole.  If you must use the SAML 2.0
authentication protocol with CAS, then you will not be able to authenticate
Guacamole with CAS as the SAML protocol is not supported.

That said, Guacamole has a CAS authentication module which supports the
native CAS SSO protocol.  If you're already running a CAS server, you
should be able to use the guacamole-auth-cas extension and authenticate
against your CAS server.

Is there some reason you're required to use SAML 2.0 instead of the native
CAS protocol?

> Would someone who's gotten Guacamole working with SAML 2.0 please let me
> know the components they used in their architecture?  Because I've been
> through the last 4000 messages emailed to this list and there's a thread
> with the title: "Handling a SAML POST response" which talks about SAML
> (version unknown) and getting it working with Mike Jumper's extension and
> used it to authenticate via OpenID.  From which I gather it's possible to
> get it working with SAML of an unknown version.

OpenID and SAML are not identical.  There is an OpenID authentication
extension that you can use, but you must use it against any
OpenID-compatible SSO server.  CAS can also do this, but, again, why are
you trying to do this instead of just using the CAS protocol?

> Basically, I'm trying to authenticate from an F5 BIG-IP APM to Guacamole
> using SSO and one of the guys who's in my team suggested that SAML would be
> the easiest way to get this working.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but if your SSO server is CAS, just
use the CAS protocol - it's the most straight-forward to get configured,
and it's already supported.

-Nick