guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SAML 2.0 support for Apache Guacamole through CAS
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2018 18:32:01 GMT
On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 10:20 AM Daniel Storey <
daniel.storey@rededucation.com> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>

> Thanks for the speedy reply.

Sorry, not so speed the second time around :-/.

> I’m trying to have an F5 BIG-IP APM authenticate through to Guacamole
> through CAS, so I thought SAML was the best solution.  To my knowledge, F5
> doesn’t support CAS natively (and I’ve done some searching, so I’m pretty
> confident this is true).

Yeah, CAS isn't really all that universally supported, unfortunately, so I
wouldn't be surprised if F5 doesn't support it.

> CAS has come in to the solution as middleware of sorts – converting the
> authentication from SAML into something Guacamole can understand (native
> CAS authentication through the CAS protocol.). My company isn’t using CAS
> at the moment – we’d be deploying it for this project only, which uses
> usernames and passwords to authenticate that are stored in the internal F5
> database.  Hence the guy in my team recommending SAML2.0 between F5 and CAS
> and then Native CAS authentication for Guacamole, if that’s possible.

So, let me make sure I understand what you're trying to do.  You'd like to
have users authenticate through the F5 appliance (to CAS, via SAML), and
then be able to hit Guacamole and have the authentication into Guacamole
happen "automagically" because you've already authenticated to the SSO
server from the F5?

I don't know if this will work or not.  It's possible it will, if CAS is
"smart enough" to pick up on the fact that you've already authenticated
based on session or cookie information in the browser.  But, because it's
using a different client procotocol (SAML vs. CAS), it may not work.  I
actually don't really know how that works out with CAS - every time I've
used it I've been focused on either one protocol or another and not been
trying it across protocols.  I would think the CAS server would be smart
enough to figure this out, but I'm not sure.

I'm also not familiar with the F5 Big-IP APM, so I'm not entirely sure how
it's doing the SSO through SAML.

If I have a chance to spin stuff up to try it out, I will, I just don't
know how quickly I'd be able to make that happen.  I don't have a F5 APM,
but it looks like it might be something that I can download and try out.

-Nick