guacamole-user mailing list archives

From "Joachim Lindenberg" <joac...@lindenberg.one>
Subject AW: guacamole.apache for windows os
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2018 17:26:39 GMT
Hi,

if you are primarily interested in RDP, then Myrtille and freerdp-webconnect are alternatives
that work on Windows. Myrtille also supports SSH. Obviously user interface and features vary…

If you want to use Guacamole on Windows… I run two Guacamole instances (one using Docker,
one compiled from scratch) on two virtual machines (Ubuntu 18.04 or 16.04) on two different
Hyper-V hosts (one Hyper-V-2016, one Windows 10 Pro) without any issues. I also wrote a how-to
for my own software @ https://software.lindenberg.one/backup/en/documentation/guacamole-integration,
but if you just ignore my application specifics, the basic process should fit other scenarios
as well. I definitely recommend to use a Linux VM instead of running Docker for Windows..

Joachim

Von: Mike Jumper [mailto:mjumper@apache.org]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 28. August 2018 19:01
An: jaydeepsinh jadeja <jaydeepvjadeja@gmail.com>
Cc: user@guacamole.apache.org
Betreff: Re: guacamole.apache for windows os

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018, 07:37 jaydeepsinh jadeja <jaydeepvjadeja@gmail.com <mailto:jaydeepvjadeja@gmail.com>
> wrote:

Hi,

Please don't email multiple lists at the same time.

https://www.apache.org/dev/contrib-email-tips.html#rightlist

I wish to use guacamole.apache but as I read its document feel that I can't make Guacamole
server on windows operating system.

Does guacamole.apache work for windows operating system? I want to use guacamole server and
client both on windows operating system.

No. With the exception of libguac, guacamole-server depends on POSIX features and behavior
not present in Windows. It's conceivable that it could be ported, but probably not worth the
effort given that (1) there is very little demand for a Windows port and (2) those that do
need such a port can already use a VM or Docker.

Keep in mind also that you do not need to install Guacamole on the desktops you will be connecting
to. Guacamole is a gateway, and the Guacamole server will happily connect to your Windows
machines. It only needs to be installed on one, centralized server to make that happen.

If you truly use only Windows servers and cannot deploy a Linux server to host Guacamole,
I'd recommend using a VM or Docker to give Guacamole the platform it needs independent of
the server OS.

- Mike