guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mjum...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding widget in guacamole
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2018 06:23:22 GMT
Asbern,

Please, please read the documentation that we have directed you toward. The
chapter in question covers how HTML can be patched.

http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/guacamole-ext.html#ext-patch-html

We used the below guacamole client for our deployment

> guacamole-client-0.9.13-incubating.tar.gz
>

> To build guacamole-client, we ran mvn package and that produced the .war
> file, which contained the entire application.
>

> To modify the already existing login.html page in the application, we
> followed the below steps:
>
> 1.            We made minor changes in the login.html  (
> /var/lib/tomcat/webapps/guacamole/app/login/templates)  and saved it (We
> just added a <p> tag with a content in it)

You should not make changes to the files in the exploded webapp. Any such
changes will not have any effect. Make such changes using the patching
functionality of extensions (see link above).

2.            Used the HTML patching capability and added this file in the
> guac-manifest.json

The HTML patching capability is NOT simply listing a filename within
guac-manifest.json. The HTML patches are specially-formatted HTML files
which contain a "<meta>" tag defining how the HTML is to be modified and an
HTML snippet containing the modification:

http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/guacamole-ext.html#ext-patch-html

{

>     "guacamoleVersion" : "1.0.0",

If you are using 0.9.13-incubating, then this should say
"0.9.13-incubating" or "*". Specifying a different version will result in
the extension not loading, and Guacamole will log a message in the logs
noting that it has refused to load the extension due to the version number
not matching.

http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/guacamole-ext.html#ext-manifest

    "name"      : "LDAP Authentication",

For the sake of readable logs, you should define a meaningful name for your
extension. Your theming/branding/etc. extension is presumably not "LDAP
Authentication".

>     "namespace" : "guac-ldap",

The "namespace" has special meaning. You should not reuse the namespace of
an existing extension.

>     "authProviders" : [
>
>         "org.apache.guacamole.auth.ldap.LDAPAuthenticationProvider"
>
>     ],

Why are you referencing an authentication provider?

>     "translations" : [
>
>         "translations/en.json"
>

>     "html" : [ "login.html" ],
>

>     ]

This is invalid JSON. Your "html" property is defined in the middle of the
array specified for the "translations" property.

> }
>
> 3.            Restarted the Tomcat server and guacd

You do not need to restart guacd. You only need to restart Tomcat.

You will need to place your extension's .jar file within
GUACAMOLE_HOME/extrensions for it to load.

We couldn’t see any changes being reflected in the login page.

> Please let us know, if the steps that we are following are correct or not,
> to update the login page.

Please read the documentation linked above thoroughly. It covers the proper
format of guac-manifest.json as well as the HTML patches. If you have
installed your extension and things still do not work:

* Check the Tomcat logs to verify your extension is loading. Look for
errors or warnings regarding your extension.
* Test that your extension's guac-manifest.json is valid.
* Read through the documentation again, verifying that your extension
follows the documented format.

- Mike