guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: adding audio support for vnc connections
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2018 01:02:33 GMT
On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 8:55 PM robertkwild <robertkwild@gmail.com> wrote:

> ok i have succesfully done it via this command instead cutting out the acl
> network stuff -
>
> load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-anonymous=1
>
> now on the guacamole server when i click the connection it works
>
> but when i connect via vnc client ie realvnc it doesnt work so how can i
> get
> the vnc client to get the audio

I kind of doubt it'll work with just the straight VNC Client - the VNC
client would have to support audio, itself, and I don't know that any of
them do.  In Guacamole, this is all handled by guacd - guacd makes the VNC
connection, and then it makes a separate PulseAudio connection, and
encapsulates all of it in the Guacamole protocol stream.  So, as soon as
the VNC + PulseAudio connection hits guacd, it's no longer VNC +
PulseAudio, it's Guacamole.  The VNC client would have to do exactly the
same thing that guacd is doing - that is, it would need to make both the
VNC connection *and* the PulseAudio connection in order to provide the
audio.  Perhaps one of the VNC clients does that, I'm not sure - I haven't
used them in a long time - but I kind of doubt it.

The one option you do have with something like VNCViewer is to run the
PulseAudio system as a client on the same system that's running the
VNCViewer software, and make the network connection to the VNCServer's
PulseAudio port.  Guacamole abstracts these details from you, for the most
part - that is, with Guacamole, you're not required to manually establish
separate connections for both VNC and Pulse - guacd does it all for you.
If you're using VNCViewer, though, you'll have to do it manually.

-Nick