guacamole-user mailing list archives

From "Joachim Lindenberg" <joac...@lindenberg.one>
Subject AW: More containers?
Date Sun, 17 Jun 2018 06:32:31 GMT
Hi Nick,

I am aware that extensions need to execute in the same container, but I wanted to provide
them from a different data container. I know this is possible with plain docker, but failed
with docker-compose.

This would address the need to build a container on-the-fly without providing guacamole on
my own – which imho is both overhead and less transparent for the user.

Best Regards, Joachim

Von: Nick Couchman [mailto:vnick@apache.org]
Gesendet: Sonntag, 17. Juni 2018 02:10
An: user@guacamole.apache.org
Betreff: Re: More containers?

On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 10:23 AM Joachim Lindenberg <joachim@lindenberg.one <mailto:joachim@lindenberg.one>
> wrote:

Hell Nick, all,

I finally found some time to invest into experimenting with docker, docker-compose, and guacamole.
Good news is, I can run guacamole dockerized now, even with docker-compose.

Now the challenges:

*       as I am running an extension I wanted to make this available in a separate (data)
container in order not to change your existing ones but expose a data volume with the extensions
directory. This appears to be difficult and also depending on the version of compose (and
file). Actually I gave up on that one for now, but any suggestions or examples welcome.

This is not difficult, this is impossible.  The extensions *must* be in the same container
as the main Tomcat instance that runs Guacamole.  These extensions are loaded by the Guacamole
Client as it is deployed by Tomcat, so it is really not possible to run extensions in separate
containers.  It doesn't matter if you're sharing the GUACAMOLE_HOME directory or the Tomcat
WebApps directory or the entire filesystem between two containers, you cannot run an extension
in a separate container from the main Guacamole Client (guacamole.war file).

- Nick