guacamole-user mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: Performance and keyboard layout
Date Thu, 03 May 2018 21:31:07 GMT
On Thu, May 3, 2018, 07:59 Magnus Lobenhofer <magnus.lobenhofer@icloud.com>
wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have two concerns:
>
> 1. How can I speed up the image formation and the reaction speed?
> I use guacamole on a Raspberry Pi 2. This computer is obviously not
> overloaded. The "top" command during a guacamole session indicates that
> neither memory nor CPU has been exhausted.
> Mac mini
> RealVNC VNC Server 6.2.1

If the Raspberry Pi 2 is not simply underpowered for this sort of workload
(sounds like it's fine seeing as you report neither CPU or memory is
appreciably used), I suspect this is due to the nature of VNC on a Mac.

I can't speak to RealVNC in particular, but all VNC servers that I have
used on a Mac have been unusably slow, regardless of the speed of the
network and regardless of the VNC client in use.

> 2. How can I work with German keyboard layout?

Things should work without any change in configuration. The client side of
Guacamole is independent of keyboard layout, as is VNC.

> I have the problem that I do not find the German keyboard layout from the
> client computer (German keyboard layout) on the remote computer.

Theoretocally, you shouldn't need to change any settings on the remote
computer. The remote side will not know that the client is using a German
layout, but the keys should still work as intended. Guacamole will forward
key events based on key identity, not key location. The VNC server should
perform any necessary translation. In fact ... the VNC standard requires
the server to do this.

- Mike